An SSL certificate is a crucial component of any website, as it ensures secure communication between your site and its visitors.
GoDaddy offers a range of SSL certificates to suit different needs and budgets. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of GoDaddy SSL certificates and their costs.
Does GoDaddy domain come with free SSL?
GoDaddy domains themselves do not come with a free SSL certificate. However, there are a few ways to get a free SSL certificate for your GoDaddy domain:
- Sign up for GoDaddy web hosting: Most GoDaddy web hosting plans, including the Economy plan, come with a free Standard SSL certificate. This certificate is sufficient for most websites and will encrypt your website traffic, helping to protect your visitors’ data.
- Use Let’s Encrypt: Let’s Encrypt is a free, open-source certificate authority that provides SSL certificates for websites. You can install a Let’s Encrypt certificate on your GoDaddy domain for free using the cPanel control panel or the WordPress.com plugin.
If you need a more advanced SSL certificate, such as an Organization Validation (OV) or Extended Validation (EV) certificate, you will need to purchase one from GoDaddy or another certificate authority.
Types of SSL on GoDaddy
Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificate
The Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificate is ideal for one website and is the most cost-effective option. It is easy to install and provides a standard level of validation. The cost for a 3-year term is $209.97, with a renewal price of $299.97.
Organizational Validation (OV) SSL Certificate
The Organizational Validation (OV) SSL Certificate is suitable for businesses and organizations. It provides a higher level of validation and shows that your business is legitimate. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate
The Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate is the most premium option, providing the highest level of validation and a padlock in the address bar. It is suitable for eCommerce websites and global banks. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
Wildcard SSL Certificate
The Wildcard SSL Certificate is designed to protect all subdomains under a single domain. It is suitable for businesses with multiple subdomains. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
Multi-domain SAN SSL Certificate
The Multi-domain SAN SSL Certificate is designed to protect up to 100 websites. It is suitable for businesses with multiple websites. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
Managed Multi-domain SAN SSL Certificate
The Managed Multi-domain SAN SSL Certificate is designed to protect multiple websites with a single certificate. It is suitable for businesses with multiple websites. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
Managed Wildcard SSL Certificate
The Managed Wildcard SSL Certificate is designed to protect up to 10 subdomains under a single domain. It is suitable for businesses with multiple subdomains. The cost for a 2-year term is $399.98, with a renewal price of $399.98.
How to buy an SSL certificate on Godaddy
To buy an SSL certificate on GoDaddy, you can follow these general steps:
- Choose the Right Certificate: Go to the GoDaddy website and select the SSL certificate that best suits your needs, such as Standard SSL, Wildcard SSL, or Premium SSL.
- Request the Certificate: After purchasing the SSL certificate, you need to request it for your website’s domain name. The process for requesting the certificate depends on the type of certificate you have and the type of web hosting you use.
- Install the Certificate: Once you have the certificate, you will need to install it on your website. If you prefer not to do this yourself, GoDaddy also offers a Managed SSL service where they can install and manage the SSL certificate for you.
- Renewal: It’s important to remember that SSL certificates need to be renewed annually. GoDaddy provides resources to help with the renewal process.
If you encounter any difficulties during the process, GoDaddy offers customer support to assist you in purchasing and installing your SSL certificate.
What is managed SSL on Godaddy?
Managed SSL on GoDaddy is a service that takes the hassle out of managing your website’s SSL certificate.
With this service, GoDaddy handles all the work for you, from installation and configuration to renewal and maintenance.
This allows you to focus on running your website and business, knowing that your security is in good hands.
Here are some key benefits of using GoDaddy’s Managed SSL service:
- Stress-free: You don’t have to worry about manually installing, configuring, or renewing your SSL certificate. GoDaddy takes care of everything for you.
- Prevent security errors: GoDaddy monitors your certificate and automatically fixes any errors that may occur, ensuring your website stays secure.
- 24/7 expert support: If you have any questions or problems, GoDaddy’s expert support team is available 24/7 to help.
- Long-term protection: GoDaddy offers various plans to fit your needs, including yearly and multi-year options.
GoDaddy offers different types of Managed SSL certificates, including:
- Domain Validation (DV) SSL: This is the most basic type of SSL certificate and is the most affordable option. It verifies that you own the domain name associated with the certificate.
- Organization Validation (OV) SSL: This type of SSL certificate provides a higher level of security than a DV SSL certificate. It verifies your organization’s identity, which can help build trust with your customers.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL: This is the highest level of SSL certificate available and displays a green address bar in web browsers. It provides the highest level of security and trust for your website.
The cost of GoDaddy’s Managed SSL service varies depending on the type of certificate you choose and the length of your plan.
How much does managed SSL cost on GoDaddy
The cost of managed SSL on GoDaddy varies depending on the type of SSL certificate.
The Managed DV SSL Service, which secures one website, is available for as low as $119.99 per year with a 2-year term, resulting in a payment of $239.98 today. The renewal cost is $399.98.
The Managed Wildcard SSL Service, which secures one website and up to 9 subdomains, is available for as low as $269.99 per year with a 2-year term, resulting in a payment of £539.98 today.
The renewal cost is £739.98.
The prices may be subject to additional taxes and fees.
As you can see, it is generally more expensive than purchasing an SSL certificate yourself and managing it manually.
How to install an SSL certificate on GoDaddy
Now that you’ve got an SSL certificate, what’s next?
To install an SSL certificate on GoDaddy, follow these steps:
- Generate a certificate signing request (CSR): This is a process that creates a unique key for your website. You can generate a CSR through your hosting provider or use a tool like OpenSSL.
- Request the SSL certificate: Once you have your CSR, you can request an SSL certificate from GoDaddy or another Certificate Authority (CA).
- Install the SSL certificate: After receiving the SSL certificate, you can install it on your server. For cPanel hosting, follow these steps:
- Log in to cPanel.
- In the Security section, click SSL/TLS Manager.
- Under Certificates (CRT), click Generate, view, upload, or delete SSL certificates.
- In the Upload a New Certificate section, select Choose File and navigate to the .crt file you downloaded in step 1. Select the file and then select Open.
- If you want to, type a description of the certificate in the Description text box.
- Select Upload Certificate.
- When you get confirmation that the certificate has been saved, select Go Back.
- At the bottom of the SSL Certificates page, select Return to SSL Manager.
- Under Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS), select Manage SSL Sites.
- In the Install an SSL Website section, select Browse Certificates.
- Select the certificate that you want to activate and select Use Certificate. This will auto-fill the fields for the certificate.
- At the bottom of the page, select Install Certificate.
- On the Successfully Installed pop-up, select OK. Your certificate is installed!
- Redirect visitors to the secure version of your site: After installing the SSL certificate, you need to direct visitors to the secure version of your site by redirecting to HTTPS. You can do this by updating your website’s configuration or using a plugin if you’re using a content management system like WordPress.
How to troubleshoot SSL installation issues on GoDaddy
During the intallation process, you might encounter some challenges.
To troubleshoot SSL installation issues on GoDaddy, follow these steps:
- Check certificate validity: Ensure that your SSL certificate is still valid and has not expired.
- Rekey your certificate: Rekeying your certificate can resolve issues with the certificate itself.
- Reinstall your certificate: Go back and reinstall your certificate to make sure everything is set up correctly.
- Change the domain name (common name) on your SSL certificate: If you have recently changed your domain name, you may need to update the common name on your SSL certificate.
- Check your HTTPS redirect settings: A problem with the HTTPS redirect is the most common cause of SSL installation issues. Set up your HTTPS redirect again and then try to view your secure site.
- Check for mixed content: Depending on your browser, you may find images or other content missing from the page or see an exclamation mark icon or other warning in the browser about the site not being secure. This is usually caused by your HTTPS page containing unsecured HTTP content. To protect users from mixed content, browsers either strip the unsecure content from the page or post a warning.
- Contact GoDaddy Support: If you still cannot resolve the issue, consider contacting GoDaddy Support for assistance. They offer a Managed SSL Service that can help you with the installation and maintenance of your SSL certificate.
For more detailed instructions based on your specific server type and operating system, refer to the GoDaddy Help Center.
Free SSL Certificate Alternatives
While GoDaddy SSL certificates offer a range of options, there are also free SSL certificate alternatives available.
For example, Let’s Encrypt offers free SSL certificates that can be installed on GoDaddy hosting.
However, it is essential to note that these free SSL certificates may not provide the same level of validation and security as GoDaddy SSL certificates.
GoDaddy SSL certificates offer a range of options to suit different needs and budgets.
While the cost of a GoDaddy SSL certificate may be higher than some free SSL certificate alternatives, it provides a higher level of validation and security.
It is essential to choose the right SSL certificate for your website to ensure secure communication with your visitors.